I was recently approached by the guys at ToughCoatings to do some work on their website. I initially wanted to tackle their page load time and page size. Here’s a summary and some progress screenshots of what I did to achieve some of these results.
Whilst this may look like a good load time for a page of this size, in reality it was actually taking 15+ seconds to load the whole website. The 2.2s was for the preload that had been installed. So the “Page Load Time” isn’t a reliable way of seeing how fast the page actually took to load.
During Part 1:
So to reduce the page size by 1.4mb i did the following:
Removed a couple of unneeded files being loaded (template)
Optimised the images (losslessly so no loss in quality)
During Part 2:
Now as you can see, a massive reduction in page size and also a massive jump in PageSpeed Score. So again a couple of relatively simple steps were taken:
Changed the file types, there were some PNG files that should’ve been JPG files. JPG files also compress a lot nicer meaning a really big reduction in file size.
Scaled the images – This is where the largest saving was, there were a lot of images that were being scaled from 1000×1000 (rough dimensions just as an idea) down to 200×200.
So as you can see, the PageSpeed score has actually gone down, however this is due to the site still being worked on so there’s a few files that are larger than required, so overall the pagesize once site is completed will be ~5mb. We’ve activated cloudflare and done a few more reductions in files being loaded. We still have a few more things to go but a true 1.0s load time (from a server with an unlimited connection, so realistic load time is probably about 1.5-2 seconds).